Let’s face it, Spring is known as the wettest time of the year, and its because of that that you need to take extra precaution around the house to make sure you avoid leaks and floods.
There are plenty of steps that you can take around your house to make sure that your plumbing and drainage stay clear, which is going to help prevent any issues from popping up.
April showers bring May flowers and the onset of spring, which means it’s time for “spring cleaning.” While we often think of just clearing out old junk and putting out the lawn furniture, Spring Cleaning should also include yard and house maintenance. Drain Experts Plumbing is offering these plumbing maintenance tips to protect your home against plumbing problems.
- Pour at least a gallon of water into floor drains and other lightly used drains to make sure that the trap is filled, this will prevent odors from entering the house.
- Check exposed pipes under sinks and in the basement for signs of leaks.
- If your home needs a sump pump, make sure to test it to make sure that it operates properly by pouring a few buckets of water into the sump pit.
- Inspect your home for slow leaks. You can do this by taking a reading on your water meter at night, and then the next morning, without using any water overnight, take another reading. If there is a difference in the reading it means that you have a leak that should be repaired.
- Make sure gutters, downspouts, and yard drains, are cleaned out and flow free of debris.
- Check for bird nests in plumbing vent pipes.
- Check outdoor faucets and hose bibs to make sure there are no blockages.
Remember, when it comes to home improvement and maintenance, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure. If you take preventative measures, you can save yourself a lot of time and money by avoiding larger problems down the road. If you have any questions about ensuring that your plumbing is fine and that there are no issues, please always feel free to give our plumbing experts a call and we can help make sure that your home and plumbing are good to go!